Flowroute fully supports international calls both inbound and outbound for clients. However, due to the higher rates in some destinations, most common fraudulent calls occurs over international destinations, and we are forced to place some basic security measures to protect you.
Therefore, while in many cases, making international call is flawless, there maybe some cases where you are unable to place such calls.
If you are unable to make international calls, the first thing to check is to make sure domestic calls are successful. If domestic call are failing as well, you may be experiencing general outbound call issue which should be handles differently.
If you are able to make domestic calls and only international outbound call is having issue, please see below for few common causes.
What might prevent outbound calls to international destination?
- Destination number format
- Each country has different digits and formats for telephone number, which maybe very confusing for others. Some countries have 10-digit format, while some countries have 8-digit format. Some countries have area code in 3-digits and some have in 2-digits. In many cases, there is miscommunication in telephone numbers, and all you need to do is confirm the number to make sure you have the correct telephone number for the destiation.
- Also, some countires have leading 0 in area code, which must be omitted.
- This format may actually come incorrectly from your phone system. Most phone systems have feature to pre-pend digits in effort to help end-users make calls with less dialing. However, in configuring this option, system administrator may have configured special rule to place international calls (i.e. press 9). Confirm that there is no special requirement for making outbound calls.
- Maximum Outbound Rate
- In order to prevent fraudulent calls to international destinations from draining account's balance, Flowroute has Maximum Outbound Rate security feature. This option can be found under Preferences -> Fraud Control. Default value upon signup is $0.05, which means calls to any destination with per-minute cost above $0.05 will be blocked. This rule includes domestic calls by default, but most domestic destination is lower than $0.01, which passively bypasses the rule. If international calls are failing, check this rule first to make sure that calls to your destination is allowed. You can find the rate for your destination here.
- You may wish to keep outbound rate low in order to prevent fraud, and only require calls to few destinations on regular basis that exceeds the rule. In such case, you can use Destination Whitelist option, which bypasses the maximum outbound rate for selected destinations. By using this option, you can have your Maximum Outbound Rate rule at minimum rate for domestic calls, and still make outbound calls to international destinations, which you wish to call regularly.
- Strict Whitelist
- Many customers use Strict Whitelist option to fully prevent fraudulent calls to unwanted destinations. This option can also be found under Preferences -> Fraud Control. This option fully disables Maximum Outbound Rate rule, as well as all outbound calls to any destination, including U.S.., unless selected in Destination Whitelist. If international calls are failing, check if this rule is enabled, and that your destination country is selected in the whitelist.
- Destination Restriction
- Destination Restriction is not a built-in feature in your manage portal. However, when Flowroute sees unusual spike of calls to certain country, such destination is automatically blocked due to possible fraud alert, and gets added to Destination Restriction list, under Blocked Outbound Destinations. If you are unable to make outbound calls to certain international destinations, check this list under Preferences -> Fraud Control. If the country is added in this list, make sure to check the Date Blocked to evaluate the traffic. If the traffic is found to be legitimate, you can Unblock the destination, which will allow you to make calls to these destinations again.
IMPORTANT: ONLY MAKE THE MINIMUM REQUIRED CHANGES. CHANGES TO THESE OPTIONS MAY INCREASE VULNERABILITY OF YOUR ACCOUNT.